Factory Custom News Thread

September 10, 2019, 08:31:36 PM
Read 19322 times

Nekoman

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
Factory Custom News Thread
« on: September 10, 2019, 08:31:36 PM »
Since we have forums here, I thought it could be a decent way to compile information and discuss figure news, which is hard to do on the socials.

So Black Major's latest customs are Snow Serpents, they look pretty good.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:57:09 PM by Nekoman »

September 24, 2019, 01:03:29 AM
Reply #1

R.T.G.

• The avatar's from the gallery are off the hook!

• View Profile
    • Attica Gazette
Re: Factory Custom News Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 01:03:29 AM »
They look cool, though the distribution method on this group isn't really my cup of tea! Nice to see Snow Serpents get made!

September 26, 2019, 11:26:33 PM
Reply #2

scarrviper

• View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 11:26:33 PM »
I'm so far out of the loop when it comes to these factory customs these days.  Cool to see the snow serpent mold get some use.

October 15, 2019, 05:07:32 AM
Reply #3

Mike T.

• Forgotten Figure

• Forgotten Figure

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Figures
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 05:07:32 AM »
I don't like having to go to three different sellers to get the three repaints I want.  But, at this point, I'll take anything.

Was never a Snow Serpent fan.  But, some of these are really nice.

May 05, 2020, 06:18:06 PM
Reply #4

A-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 06:18:06 PM »
Anyone ever get booted from  following Black Major instagram  with no explanation?

I dunno about these people who are only on instagram to sell things.

May 14, 2020, 04:52:45 AM
Reply #5

Mike T.

• Forgotten Figure

• Forgotten Figure

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Figures
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 04:52:45 AM »
He jumps around from a variety of accounts.  I've never really understood why he sells under three or four different ones.  Never checked to see if paypals are the same.

He got real jittery after a guy made waves on Facebook contacting Hasbro and, ultimately, getting BM permanently suspended from Facebook.  So, it's probably just paranoia on his part.

May 16, 2020, 03:25:04 PM
Reply #6

R.T.G.

• View Profile
    • Attica Gazette
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 03:25:04 PM »
I'm an idiot but I really like those overly ornate Invasors he's doing!

I have nothing negative to say about TBM as a person, he's always been solid with me. Some of the things he does strikes me as self-preservation, which I honestly can't fault him for. 

In regards to that guy contacting Hasbro, I always figured TBM was close to getting burned on that YEARS ago. He'd gotten far in the whole Storm Shadow custom, and then pretty much went dark for a couple years. Since it was close time wise to that 2nd Live Action G.I. Joe movie, I always figured there was probably a connection.

May 16, 2020, 11:10:54 PM
Reply #7

Nekoman

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 11:10:54 PM »
Speaking of TBM, here's the new Eels for everyone who's not on Instagram, I just logged in for the first time in probably a year and saw them myself.

Not really feeling these so far... The extra torsos don't do much for me. Likewise, the accessories are off too. I don't have a need for neon New-Sculpt and MGR weapons, likewise, that RPG is basically unusable with vintage figures. Only one I really like is the Dreadnok/Copperhead colored one he was teasing.

May 16, 2020, 11:15:54 PM
Reply #8

Nekoman

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 11:15:54 PM »
More:

May 17, 2020, 12:29:05 AM
Reply #9

Mike T.

• Forgotten Figure

• Forgotten Figure

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Figures
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 12:29:05 AM »
I love Eels.  But, I'm not feeling the ones he's shown so far.  The blue is too light.  The Python one is that light green that isn't my favorite.  The Copperhead one has me interested.  But, we'll see.  He's selling these to a bunch of different sellers with different buying plans again which just makes it all overly complicated. 

Those 3 packs would be more interesting if they all had arms and legs.  I'm not spending money for incomplete figures.

May 22, 2020, 06:38:29 AM
Reply #10

A-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 06:38:29 AM »
I don't understand what your are supposed to do with the extra head/torsos if you are not a customizer.

In regards to what I posted before.
I dunno about these people who are only on instagram to sell things.
That was not meant as a commenting bashing Black Major per se.  I mainly followed BM (heh, "BM") to see what he's making since forums shun him even in the times of little to no JOE news.  I guess his paranoia makes sense.  I've wound up "following back" a few other Instagram people who seem to be "fans" in the sense they just sell thing to other fans. I regret having to scroll through their posts.

It's not as bad as Flickr sometimes. I'll look at a person's favorites after they've faved one of my photos and then suddenly I'm looking at genitalia.  I often  forget Flickr has that stuff.

May 22, 2020, 07:37:42 PM
Reply #11

scarrviper

• View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 07:37:42 PM »
Wow, some of those eels look pretty impressive.  I had no idea they were in production.

As cool as some of the factory customs have been over the years, I never liked how it's become so secretive and you feel like you have to be in the right social media circles to have a chance at getting them, if you even know they exist. 

May 25, 2020, 01:15:12 PM
Reply #12

R.T.G.

• View Profile
    • Attica Gazette
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 01:15:12 PM »
Well, the ARAH Gallery must have the pulse on the Joe Community!

Yo Joe's facebook group did some strange and poorly timed commentary on the "State of affairs". Specifically in regards to The Black Major, it was pretty tone-deaf and reads like a decision to try and get TBM into trouble, while wrapping it in a "Reproduction figures harm the average collector who don't know any better!"

They also used some of Nekoman's photos (without credit, I'm assuming)

May 25, 2020, 06:51:08 PM
Reply #13

A-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 06:51:08 PM »

Yo Joe's facebook group did some strange and poorly timed commentary on the "State of affairs". Specifically in regards to The Black Major, it was pretty tone-deaf and reads like a decision to try and get TBM into trouble, while wrapping it in a "Reproduction figures harm the average collector who don't know any better!"

Start with a  phony compliment, he's done great stuff BUT HERE'S HIS REAL NAME AND HE'S RUINING COLLECTING AND HASBRO SHOULD SHUT HIM DOWN.  Why stop there? Why not reclaim all intellectual property and shut-down fansites that use trademarked Hasbro images? Good bye Yojoe.com, 3D Joes, etc. Would it be legal? I dunno, but I know who can afford the lawyers.

As for the new and average collectors. Average collectors would be happier doing something else.
Seriously, high prices, a vast collection impossible to complete unless you are wealthy, aging plastic that's brittle and yellowing, "bootlegs" and re-carding...vintage 3 3/4" GI JOE is a terrible hobby to just get into.

I'd say the same thing about most vintage toy collecting, though. Or modern Star Wars since just putting a figure on a retro style cardback increases its price by 200%.  You want anything,  gotta order a case and get stuck with whatever's not "hot" in that case.

I know the topic is repros of old toys, but in terms of action figure collecting in general, the stores (who never restock or order enough and influence what companies make), the companies (under-producing and overcharging) and the "collecting community" (too many collectors are primarily interested in the value of their collections and/or making money off other fans)  have done their best to discourage the casual toy collector much much more than repros of old toys have. You cannot walk into a store today and hope to find, well, anything, unless you collect Lego.  Someone pointed out there's only really two major brick and mortar action figure retailers left: Target and Wal-Mart.  Locally, I'd say checking both in my area is a waste of effort 90% of the time.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:18:54 PM by A-Man »

May 28, 2020, 02:24:03 AM
Reply #14

Nekoman

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 02:24:03 AM »

They also used some of Nekoman's photos (without credit, I'm assuming)

I just checked this out and now my blood's boiling. Yes, they flat out stole my shots with no credit, whatsoever, and used them in a post shitting on TBM on top of all of that!

Imagine trying to make a point about how bootlegs hurt "new collectors that don't know any better!", by stealing photos from a website much newer than yours, that gets much less traffic, and giving no credit to your audience that go figure- doesn't know any better. These clowns are rich!