Read 9457 times

Mike T.

• Forgotten Figure

• Forgotten Figure

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Figures
So, What's Up With the Joe World?
« on: May 14, 2020, 11:15:39 PM »
Any of you guys been following online pricing, lately?  I have kind of stopped for a bit.  But, I keep seeing stupid prices on common figures like BATs, Vipers and even Spirit.  I figured we were at the end of the line of insane pricing.  And, there were tons of the "high end collector" types selling dupes of rare figs in early April, trying to cash in ahead of a market crash.  But, that hasn't happened, yet.  Which is...surprising...considering what's all going on.

May 15, 2020, 07:16:31 PM
Reply #1

Nekoman

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
Re: So, What's Up With the Joe World?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 07:16:31 PM »
Yeah, the market's been crazy and seems to only get crazier.

Personally, I speculate that we're not seeing a crash/sell-off because the demographic for Joe collectors, especially old vintage collectors, hasn't been greatly affected by the economic pain of the lock down. What's more, there's probably a decent pool of people who got stimulus money and are spending it on Joes, like how tax-return season always causes a spike in prices. Might see things cool off closer to July, unless another round of stimulus goes out.

May 16, 2020, 03:15:45 PM
Reply #2

R.T.G.

• The avatar's from the gallery are off the hook!

• View Profile
    • Attica Gazette
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 03:15:45 PM »
I did a little bit of watching back in February where I noticed a lot of stupidly priced auctions weren't selling. The figure I chose as the litmus test was the Steel Brigade, because it's a popular R@RE army builder, that also has Black Major and Red Laser versions that were going for too much as well. A lot of Steel Brigade figures were not selling at $80+, so I figured there was going to be a gradual decrease in prices, with it probably hitting prices that were still too high, but not as STOOPID as they'd been.

I think the stir craziness of the lockdown and some of the credit card/mortgage/rent relief as well the stimulus has kind of propped up the current G.I. Joe market. I think what's really going to be the barometer is July when a lot of the relief expires and all of a sudden reality is going assert itself once again. There's also been people spouting off the theory that "Collectables always retain their value or go up in times of crisis".

There's definitely a softening to the market though, as The Black Major didn't manage to meet his latest pre-sale goal. They were pretty steeply priced figures mind you. I'm feeling a little rueful about buying some of them, not based on the price, but more so the fact that the US/China Cold War is probably the hottest it's been, in the last 8 years. I have a feeling the Trade War of the last couple is what killed off Red Laser as a viable Factory Custom producer, I'm hoping this year isn't going to be a repeat.

May 17, 2020, 12:34:03 AM
Reply #3

Mike T.

• Forgotten Figure

• Forgotten Figure

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Figures
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 12:34:03 AM »
There's also been people spouting off the theory that "Collectables always retain their value or go up in times of crisis".
None of those guys must have been around from 2009 through 2012 when pretty much everything was cheap.  Vipers and BATs were under $20 and "rare" figs sold cheap.  I figure once people realize how bad it is probably going to be, we'll see some massive swings in a very short time.

I have a feeling the Trade War of the last couple is what killed off Red Laser as a viable Factory Custom producer, I'm hoping this year isn't going to be a repeat.
BM seems to use different suppliers and doesn't really tease his stuff until it's in hand.  So, I'm assuming he has things like the Eels in the US.  I've often wondered if he does the construction of the figs in the US, too.  RLA seems to be pretty much gone and Letal Toys dies a quick death.  It's kind of sad.  But, we did get some nice figures out of it. 

May 22, 2020, 06:44:07 AM
Reply #4

A-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 06:44:07 AM »
Lots of common and even beat-up figures lot on ebay going for 4 times what they would've not too long ago.

I think Black Major assembles the figures in the US of A.  He's posted shots of sprues, but usually unpainted ones.

Meanwhile MODERN era consists of faint hopes and tons of NOT GI JOE things like Marauders and various expensive Kickstarters. But no one ever does o-ring style figures. Wal-Mart listings that may or may not turn out to be $13 vintage style figures.

May 22, 2020, 07:25:21 PM
Reply #5

scarrviper

• View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 07:25:21 PM »
I've not done much joe shopping lately, but I've seen the price hikes. 

August 14, 2020, 02:28:53 PM
Reply #6

A-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 02:28:53 PM »
I'm out of touch with the aftermarket but what is worth the high bids on this lot?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392901233981

Not the Flak Viper, not unless newbie collectors are idiots.
Maybe the CC has the eyebrows painted? Damned if I can tell for sure.

August 14, 2020, 08:28:37 PM
Reply #7

scarrviper

• View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 08:28:37 PM »
I'm out of touch with the aftermarket but what is worth the high bids on this lot?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392901233981

Not the Flak Viper, not unless newbie collectors are idiots.
Maybe the CC has the eyebrows painted? Damned if I can tell for sure.

Good grief, that's insane.  What a weird lot too.

I noticed the vintage prices were jacked up at the local toy store when I was there last week.  I have no idea what idiots would pay these prices.